The Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library
   Catalog 
 
   Blog 
 
   History Links 
 
   Genealogy Links 
 
   Awards 
   Elaine B. Davis
   June Franklin Naylor
   Virginia M. Law
 
   Contact Us 
   General Inquiries
   DRT Membership
   Rights & Reproductions
 
 

Hours of Operation

CURRENTLY CLOSED


P.O. Box 1401
San Antonio, TX 78295

Phone Unavailable

For inquiries, please email

drtl@drtl.org

Alamo History Chronology
1912 - 2005

  [ 1716 - 1813 ] [1817 - 1835 ] [ 1836 - 1885 ] [ 1886 - 1912 ] [ 1912 - 2005 ]
Spacer
   
 
1912

Proposed Alamo Heroes Monument.

The Alamo Heroes Monument Association is formed with the intent of building a monument to the Alamo defenders. The group proposes an 800 foot high tower on Alamo Plaza, but fails in the attempt to raise the two-million-dollar construction cost.


Proposed monument with the Alamo church visible in the lower left corner.

1921
A flood devastates downtown San Antonio, leading to various flood control proposals in the ensuing years. Led by the San Antonio Conservation Society, preservationists push for beautification of the neglected river.
1926

The city of San Antonio initiates the acquisition of land surrounding the Alamo with the purchase of commercial buildings immediately south of the church.

1929

The State of Texas appropriates $250,000 for the purchase of land adjacent to the Alamo.

1932
The State of Texas allocates another $150,000 for the purchase of Alamo property. Clara Driscoll contributes $65,000 to supplement the fund.
1935
$3 million in federal money is authorized for a celebration of the centennial of Texas independence. Of that amount, $400,000 goes to San Antonio, including $75,000 for improvements to the Alamo. The money is used for a new roof and floor for the church, and for a new museum building.
1936

The centennial of Texas independence is observed. Over 10,000 people attend day-long ceremonies at the Alamo marking the one hundredth anniversary of the March 6 battle.

Excavations within San Fernando Cathedral uncover a small coffin containing human remains. Debate ensues over their identity; the Archbishop of San Antonio, Arthur J. Drossaerts, concludes that the remains are of the Alamo defenders, and orders their ceremonial reburial in San Fernando two years later.

1937
With the acquisition of City Fire Station No. 2, the purchase of property surrounding the Alamo is completed. The framework of the two-story fire station is converted into Alamo Hall, a single-story auditorium and meeting room. A new museum building is constructed adjacent to the church, and opens in the fall.
1938
The expanded Alamo grounds and its new facilities are dedicated in October.
1939

Development of the River Walk along the San Antonio River begins, funded in part by the Works Progress Administration.

1940

Cenotaph dedication and Armistice Day ceremonies, November 11, 1940. From the E. R. Rice Album

The Alamo Cenotaph, a memorial designed by San Antonio sculptor Pompeo Coppini, is completed and dedicated.




Left: Rabbi Ephraim Frisch and San Antonio Mayor Maury Maverick are shown at the Alamo Cenotaph dedication and Armistice Day ceremonies, November 11, 1940.

Photograph by Harvey Patteson. From E.R. Rice, Cenotaph Dedication album.

1945

Clara Driscoll dies in Corpus Christi at age 64. After lying in state in the Alamo church, she is buried in the Masonic Cemetery in San Antonio.

Dallas physician William E. Howard donates his collection of Texana to the DRT, opening the Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library in Alamo Hall.

1950
A new building for the DRT Library, adjacent to Alamo Hall, is constructed with funding from Sallie Ward Beretta of San Antonio in memory of her husband Mr. John King Beretta.
1955
At age 93, Adina De Zavala dies in San Antonio on the eve of Texas Independence Day. Her funeral procession passes in front of the Alamo on the way to St. Mary's Cemetery.
1960

Alamo church, ca. 1960. Sue Flanagan, photographer

The Alamo is designated a National Historic Landmark.

The world premiere of John Wayne's motion picture The Alamo is held at the Woodlawn Theater in San Antonio, climaxing four days of special events.

1961
Air conditioning is installed in the Alamo church.
1965
After several years of discussion and various proposals, work begins on the restoration of the convento.
1966
The Alamo is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1968

HemisFair '68, a six-month international exposition celebrating the 250th anniversary of the founding of the city of San Antonio is held in downtown San Antonio.

The restored convento is dedicated in February as the Long Barrack Museum.

1977
The Alamo Plaza Historic District is approved by the National Register of Historic Places. The following year, the San Antonio City Council approves a local historic district for the plaza and surrounding area.
1985
An exhibit tracing the history of the Alamo is installed in the Long Barrack Museum.
1994
The Alamo Plaza Study Committee is appointed to draft recommendations on the future development of the area around the Alamo.
1995
Preservation work at the Alamo, 1995.  Photo by Charles R. Gámez.

A major effort to stabilize and preserve the Alamo church is initiated, addressing the effects of time and the environment on the 250-year-old building.
1997
The Wall of History, a permanent exhibit outlining the history of Texas and the Alamo, is installed and dedicated.
2000
Frescoes depicting red flowers, pomegranates and other designs are discovered in the sacristy.
2002
Gallagher Building dedication, 2003.  Photo by Vince Phillips.


The Gallagher Building renovated and dedicated as a meeting room and office space for the Alamo complex.

A new amphitheater and education arbor are opened.


2004
The Alamo, a new cinematic treatment of the siege and battle, premieres at San Antonio's Majestic Theater on March 27.
2005
Long Barrack Exhibit Grand Opening Ceremony, 2005.  Photo by Leslie Stapleton.


The Daughters of the Republic of Texas commemorate the centennial of their custodianship of the Alamo. A $500,000 upgrade of the Long Barrack exhibit is completed.

 

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library
Users are reminded that images on this site belong to the DRT Library. Copying or redistribution is prohibited
without written consent of the DRT Library, subject to the library's Photograph Reproduction Policies.
For more information contact drtl@drtl.org

TOP